The hospital we are going to deliver at holds a "sibling class" and we went the other day. It was so cute. It was only an hour long and the kids were asked to bring their favorite doll or stuffed animal. Of course, Thea brought something she never has played with before. When they enter the classroom, the instructor asks what her name is and gives her a name tag. She then asks what her friends name is and she thinks for a bit and says, "Matt". He's a teacher at her school so I guess the monkey is now Matt.
Then all the kids get on a big blanket together and look through two books about bringing home a new baby and being a big brother/sister. Very interactive and the kids had some fun answers. Thea's best answer was when the instructor asked what comes out of babies mouths. Other kids replied "crying", "momma" or "goo goo gaa gaa". Thea threw out her answer of "blueberries".
After that they watch a video of babies and what they are like (which showed mostly sleeping or crying) and talking about asking permission before holding or giving anything to the baby. Then it was off the L&D to see the waiting room, the room where mommy will be and they were lucky enough to look at a "real live baby".
After that, they each got a goodie bag with crayons & coloring books, baby diaper and bottle for their doll (or Monkey Matt) and treats. Plus--they all left with a new stuffed animal they can give to their new baby brother or sister.
It was super cute and she did great. I think it helped a lot because since then she keeps saying "I think baby brother is going to cry a lot". I want to say "so will Mommy" but I don't. :-)
We didn't get any photos of it but I will be posting some soon that Thea took herself with my cell phone. I have over 40 to choose from!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment